Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society
History Quarterly Digital Archives

Source: Summer 2007 Volume 44 Number 3, Page 92


Page 92

2007 is a very important anniversary year both for Tredyffrin Township and the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society. The Township is celebrating its 300th anniversary and the Society is celebrating its 70th anniversary. The Tredyffrin Easttown History Quarterly is also celebrating its 70th anniversary.

To start the year off the Society published a 94-page The History of Tredyffrin Township, 1707–2007 as a double issue of the Quarterly, volume 44, nos. 1 and 2, Winter/Spring 2007. It sells for $20 and is available at the Hardware Center, Pharmacy, Malvern Federal Savings Bank, and Artful Framer in Paoli; Eadeh Enterprises and the Medicine Shoppe in Berwyn; Braxton Animal Works in Strafford; the Easttown, Paoli, and Tredyffrin Libraries; and the Chester County Historical Society.

There has never been a substantial history of our area and thanks to the editor of this history, Mike Bertram, we now have one. He has taken past articles from the Quarterlies, added over 140 photographs, maps, and images and given us a lively, well-illustrated 300-year history. The 37 articles are arranged chronologically beginning with Colonial times in 1680 and ending with The Vanguard Group and John Bogle. There are articles about the early inns and taverns, villages, and the Revolutionary War; about the railroads, covered bridge, Devon fireworks disaster, and Main Line Airport; about Great Valley Township, Chesterbrook, and the Valley Forge Music Fair; and about Alexander Cassett, Wharton Esherick, and Chubby Checker, to name just a few.

The fall 2007 issue of the Quarterly will also be a special issue. It will focus on the 70th anniversary of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society which began in October 1937. Separate histories of both the Society, formerly called the Tredyffrin Easttown History Club, and its Quarterly, formerly called the Tredyffrin Easttown History Club Quarterly are planned. Excerpts from past Quarterlies with new illustrations added will be included to show how people in our area lived and what everyday life was like during the past 300 years.

For further information about this and future meetings contact the President or the Program Chair.

President: Roger D. Thorne
Recording Secretary: Anne Murdock
Treasurer: J. B. Post
Program Chair: Dennis Leeper

Editor: Joyce A. Post
Mike Bertram
C. Herbert Fry
Roger D. Thorne
Sue Andrews
J. B. Post

Authors retain copyright of their contributions.
The Club does not accept responsibility for the accuracy of the information in the articles.

Volume 44, Number 3 – Summer 2007

Illustration from front cover

FRONT COVER: Roll Call and Wreath Laying, Paoli Battlefield Historical Park, July 4, 2007. Left to right, Sons of the American Revolution and Pennsylvania Continental Line Reenactors; Susan Mahoney, Daughter of the American Revolution and Paoli Battlefield Preservation Fund; and William Shoemaker, Paoli Memorial Association. Photograph by Nancy B. Schmitt. Courtesy of Malvern Historical Commission

Illustration from back cover

BACK COVER: With the notation DEMORR AERONAUTICAL CORP., PAOLI, PA on the forward section of its sleek, aluminum fuselage, this Ryan ST-A monoplane arrived in the Great Valley on September 23, 1938. It was one of several Ryan airplanes manufactured in San Diego, CA and delivered to the Ryan distributorship at the Main Line Airport during the late 1930s. Photographer Unknown. Courtesy of Robert Devaney


Page last updated: 2014-10-23 at 16:25 EDT
Copyright © 2006-2014 Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Permission is given to make copies for personal use only.
All other uses require written permission of the Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society.